HMRC is changing the way you submit your VAT Returns. From April 2019, most VAT registered businesses with a turnover above £85,000 must keep their VAT records digitally and use Making Tax Digital compatible software to submit their VAT Returns.
Instead of waiting until then, you can get compatible software now and try this new way of submitting your returns so you’re ready when the changes come in. By signing up to HMRC’s secure service, you’re helping test a new way of working as part of the Making Tax Digital pilot.
Who can use this service
You may qualify for the pilot if you are a sole trader, a partnership or currently submit the VAT Return for a limited company, and you:
- use a standard accounting period
- are up to date with your VAT
Once you have signed up to take part in the pilot, you’ll have to continue to use Making Tax Digital compatible software to submit your VAT Returns.
You will not be able to take part in the pilot at the moment if you:
- currently trade with, or have traded with the EU
- are part of a VAT group or VAT Division
- are based overseas
- are a trust
- are a not for profit organisation that is not set up as a company
- submit monthly or annual returns
- make VAT payments on account
- are a business that is newly registered for VAT and you have not previously used your VAT online account to submit your VAT Return
If you pay your VAT by Direct Debit you will not be able to sign up in the 15 working days leading up to your submission date and the 5 working days immediately after it.
This pilot will be opened to more businesses. Check back regularly to see if it has been extended to include you.